Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summer in Pictures...

All this school stuff has had my head spinning lately. After meeting with an advisor at the school I've been going to for acupuncture treatments I've learned that I need some undergrad units before applying for the acupuncture program. Sixty of them to be exact. This has resulted in more research of schools trying to narrow down what will be the best option. So far I've decided on a community college, Harold Washington, to complete all of this. I've also decided to begin in the winter as I missed the cut off for applications for fall.

To ward off stress, I've baked a good bit this summer. I even roasted a chicken for Jeff! Something about being in the kicthen, focusing on creating something calms me down almost immediately.

As far as marathon training goes,it's been exceptionally hot and humid this July so not much running happened. I'm still set to run Atlanta's marathon Oct 30, and have currently been picking up my pace now that breathing is an option upon exiting my apartment.

Work has been lovely, although I've been daydreaming a lot about getting away to some quiet cabin in the woods in Wisconsin with Jeff. This summer was a busy one... more than usual as we both had friends in town, work obligations plus Jeff moved into another apartment. My brother Patrick and his wife Alex came up for a weekend and my best friend Kat came up the following weekend for Lollapalooza. While it was all a good time, I'm soooo looking forward to my favorite season...fall, with all it's chilly air, changing leaves, and pumpkin spice lattes...

The images below sum up the fabulousness that the end of summer was...







Jeff and I meant to go to the aquarium on what turned out to be the hottest freakin' day of the summer. There was a line out the door, spilling on to the pavement. Our change of plans included taking a water taxi (first time for both of us!) to Navy Pier where we sat outside, eating ice cream, and riding this giant swing thing before seeing a movie. I felt like I was five years old. It was a perfect day.




I made some vegan cookie dough, recipe compliments of www.neverhomemaker.com, and added it to some chocoalte pasta from Seattle with sliced bananas. Mmm...

Being a tourist for a weekend was so much fun! I was quickly reminded of the many things I love about Chicago when my brother and his wife came up. We went to Millennium Park, took a boat tour along the river, went to the Art Institute and walked every where. I was happy to show them my favorite restaurants, apartment and daily life...







Oh Lollapalooza...I'm happy to say I did it, I'm happy to have done it with Kat, but I'm too old for this kind of crazy. On the last day it rained, producing a gorgeous rainbow. After that, we called it a night, met Jeff for pizza and beer at Piece before Kat was headed back to Atlanta.





BEACH!!! I've been in Chicago almost three years and have yet to go to the beach. One day Jeff and I met up at the Roger's Park farmer's market to see his cousin Nick, and his girlfriend Becky while they worked. After that we headed to the beach, meandered around the Roger's Park area, had lunch, and went to a new coffee shop. A few weeks later, Jeff and I went back to the water for swim. Yet another perfect
day(s).








Let's not forget...



The Chicken!!!!

I had so much fun getting all the ingredients, and spending all afternoon like a
1950's housewife in the kitchen preparing a dinner that consisted of the chicken, handcut and seasoned fries, veggies, and a salad for Jeff while he was working. I was even more thrilled to see that it actually turned out well and nothing blew up.

After an eventful summer I'm ready for the deliciousness that is fall. I can't wait for the city to slow down, become a little quieter, and to enjoy the last few days of extended sunlight before the darkness of winter settles in...

No comments:

Post a Comment