Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bait and Switch...

My second term at PCOM is coming to a close. I am grateful for the upcoming break from classes. I have already registered for fall classes, I’m passing my algebra class and have received such kind remarks on my ability to do massage that it almost brings tears to my eyes. Everything has been smooth sailing. Or so I thought. I overheard some girls in my math class talking about how even when we finish the associates of applied science here at PCOM we will still need to go to a community college or something to “get the rest of the credits” so entry into the masters program will be admitted. This was not my understanding upon applying to PCOM. I wouldn’t be here if that were the case. I was told that the associates would get me into the masters program. I was also told that the program would transfer to other acupuncture schools. This is also partially untrue. Some schools take it but most want an associates degree at least from an institution that is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education. Now what? Did I just “waste” 6 months here doing something that isn’t going to get me to where I’m trying to get to? Being a massage therapist isn’t something I want to pursue full time. I want the knowledge and yes I’ve enjoyed myself very much. I do love the school, the teachers and the people that go there but I’m not here to make friends, not here for my health (well…) and I’m certainly not trying to waste any time. I’m not getting any younger or any richer by being in school. I want to be an acupuncturist…yesterday! I talked to a woman in administration about this after that class. It’s true. PCOM doesn’t accept it’s own AAS program. Something about accreditation…but again, this was the deal. I was told they could offer this program and I could get into the masters program with it. It doesn’t make any sense as to why they won’t take it. “You can get your massage certificate.” The administrator told me. “that way you can work and then go to Harold Washington to get the rest of the credits.” “I’m already employed!” I snapped. “I was told one thing when I started and you’re telling me I’m pretty much back where I started! I’m angry no one bothered to mention this!” She glosses over my snippiness and says that she’ll help me get the classes I need to get into the masters program. I don’t believe anything. For the next week I research schools across the western part of the U.S. trying to find a masters program that will take the AAS. There are two that I’ve found. One in CA and one in CO. I’m not sure I want to stay though and finish. I certainly don’t want to sink anymore money into this if it’s not going to go anywhere. After much hemming and hawing I decide to see if Harold Washington has my application and transcripts on hand being I applied there this time last year before Ruth rang me up to say that I could enroll in the AAS at PCOM. Whew. They have everything. I just need to attend orientation and take a placement test. I also need to switch over my financial aid stuff. One tiny detail though. Classes start in August, not September like PCOM. I still want to finish my term at PCOM before withdrawing. I’m going to have to rush this Harold Washington business. Not to mention I’m still doing my job and commuting 3 hours a day. I’d also like to see Jeff and get some kind of sleep. I feel a giant shitstorm brewing…

No comments:

Post a Comment